Week 6 Story : Raja Rasalu

 Rasalu had been traveling the countryside for a while now, always accompanied by his trusty companion Alexa. Alexa generally just made sure they were going the right general direction, but occasionally spouted useful trivia. As he came out of the gas station, only staffed by an old man who seemed too fragile to still be able to move, Rasalu showed his car's AI his new trinket.
"The old man gave me this laptop," Rasalu began. "He said that it was it could counter curses, should I ever find myself in a competitive game of pinball on someone else's cursed computer."
"Wow," said Alexa, "that's an oddly specific item to be given just before meeting our mysterious contact."
"Maybe," replied Rasalu, "but who am I to refuse the gift of a strange old man?"
The traveling duo continued toward their destination without another distraction. As they entered the building, they saw one man, sitting in the middle of a busy room, filled with party-goers, lights, noises, and a generally electric atmosphere.
"You must be the one they call the King," Rasalu said. "I am Rasalu."
 "I know who you are, walk with me" replied the King, guiding Rasalu to a quiet room. "I have been awaiting this moment for quite some time. I have never lost a challenge, no exceptions, but you may be destined to change my fate. I have given this meeting some thought, and decided the challenge shall be pinball."As he finished his statement, the pair arrive at a table with a laptop sitting on top of it. "The rules are simple: highest score after each round wins the stakes of the round. 1st round's prize is the other's car. 2nd round's winner will acquire the rest of the other's possessions. The 3rd round's winner gets the other as their personal servant."
"Of course," replied Rasalu, "those are completely normal stakes. I accept." Then the pair began to play the game. The King swept Rasalu easily through the first two rounds. As the King's servants were taking his winnings from Rasalu, Alexa called to him through his phone.
"Be true to yourself, Rasalu," was all she managed before the phone was also taken.
"Tell your men to halt," commanded Rasalu, "there will be plenty of time to take my things when I am your servant. Let us finish the game." The King agreed, and told his servants to stop, but not before they removed the mysterious laptop from within Rasalu's cloak. "Let us continue the game on this device," Rasalu requested while hiding a small smirk.
The King, none the wiser to his shenanigans, accepted Rasalu's request. The favor of the battle quickly turned, and Rasalu smothered the King in the rest of the rounds, winning back his own as well as taking everything from the King.
"I want not your possessions, or even your service," said Rasalu to the King, "I only ask for your child that I may rear it as my own and marry it in 12 years."
"Dude, what?" responded a flabbergasted King. "That's the most messed up thing I've heard in years, and I run an illegal club." While he was distracting Rasalu, one of the King's henchmen had crept up behind Rasalu and shot him in the head. The King continued his undefeated campaign and the story of Rasalu faded into nothing.

 The pinball game that ended the great Rasalu. Link


Author's Note: This is taken roughly from the Adventures of the Punjab Hero Raja Rasula, specifically when he meets the king who plays with loaded dice. I put the story into a modern setting, including cars, AI, gas stations, clubs, computers, etc. One of the things that has bothered me most through the past 2 weeks' readings is how easily the characters get out of situations that they obviously shouldn't, so I've decided to rectify this situation in my own writing.

Bibliography: The Adventures of the Punjab Hero Raja Rasalu by Charles Swynnerton Link

Comments

  1. "but who am I to refuse the gift of a strange old man?" I love this sentence. It made me laugh. I played pinball on my very slow computer growing up. It was the only game I had on there. I also like the irony that comes with the statement, "those are completely normal stakes. I accept." The ending was a little messed up, but your story kept me interested. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Joe!

    I've read several pieces of your writing thus far, and I'm curious about your reoccurring themes of technology. Why are you continuing to bring up items like the Samsung Galaxy and Amazon's Alexa? Is that just a signature quirk of your writing, or is there an underlying theme somewhere?

    I liked the touches of humor to this story, and was surprised by the ending. I definitely agree that many the myths have endings that seem to casual, so I appreciate your writing something a little more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joe! Your story was definitely entertaining, and I like how you incorporated it into the modern world. I used to play pinball all the time, but I had forgotten about that game, so this story was a nice refresher! I did not read the original story, but I had no trouble following your story and your author's note did a good job of telling us what you changed from the original. I also was surprised by the ending, but I liked the dramatic aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NordVPN Crack activation key 2021 latest Registration code offers its users 100 percent guarantees to browse the Internet with total freedom.


    Click Here Visit Us Go To Visit Us Click Here Visit Us Go To Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Movavi Video Editor 21.2.0 Crack makes it possible for us to edit our videos in a friendly atmosphere.


    Click Here Visit Us Go To Click Here Visit Us Go To Click Here Visit Us Go To Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayer is that all of your wishes and desires will be granted today. May your happiness never know any bounds.

    Click Here Visit Us Go To Click Here Visit Us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Antares Auto-Tune Pro Crack software is that it allows you to make full use of the Windows registry and fix problems within the registry. Antares Autotune Crack

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helicon Focus Pro 7.7.6 Crack is an activator of Microsoft items (Windows, Office) for the latest form. This utility is incredibly standard since it is a comprehensive strategy for establishment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Joe Green