Week 7 Storytelling - The Labors of Yamato: The Rescue of the Princess

I have added this story to my portfolio.

I really hate taking baths. Surely there has to be an easier way to clean ourselves than to make me walk all the way out to this remote little bay. Then again, who am I to question the traditions that have been so for as long as anyone can remember. I'm sure my ancestor, Amaterasu, knew of better ways to bathe, but I don't get to talk to them, so here we go again.
Now that I've cleaned up, this wasn't such a bad idea. I needed a little me time, so I'm going to enjoy this as much as I can. I'm going to sit on this rock for a while and just enjoy the sun.
Hey, who's that in the water over there? That looks like a mermaid! I've never met a mermaid before, I'm going to go introduce myself. Oh shoot, I scared her. Wait! No! Come back! I just wanted to say hi. Darn it, maybe I can find where she swam off to. There's got to be a cave entrance around here somewhere.
Darn, I couldn't find anything. I have no choice but to come back here as often as I can in hopes off seeing that beautiful creature once again.
Well, it's been a while since I saw her and I probably won't see her again, so I might as well get married to this princess now. This has been arranged for a while, but I can't put it off any more.
Alright, I need to talk with whoever planned the route between our wedding and honeymoon. Who decided to go through this creepy forest right next to the old, run-down castle? Oh great, there are some armed bandits coming towards us. At least we have some armed guards...who have run away. Great. Well, looks like its time for me to earn my keep. Now where did I put my sword.
Man, it's been a while since I killed this many people. I forgot how tiring this can be when it draws on. Oh well, at least I'm looking super manly in front of my new wife, this is going to go over great toni..OOF.
Ow, that hit kinda hurt. I think I found their leader. I need to get up so I can kill him too. Oh, awesome, my horse decided to die on top of me. This could take a while to get out of, but I'm feeling a little tired. I think I'll just close my eyes for a quick nap before I go rescue my wife from that bandit leader.


A statue of Yamato in Osaka. Link

Authors Note: This story is based on one of the same name from the reading. I didn't change the plot or setting, this time I wanted to try changing the perspective it was told from. I acted as though I was Yamato and recorded his thoughts throughout the process of the story. If you haven't read the story, this makes it a little hard to follow what's going on and that will be something I try to fix whenever I come back to this story.


Bibliography:  The Romance of Old Link

Comments

  1. I love the stream of consciousness perspective here! I use it in a lot of my own writing. With regard to the Author’s Note, I’d be sure to include a summary that helps explain to the reader the basis for the story and how it is different. I didn’t get a chance to read this particular myth, so I’m not sure how it is unique from the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, great story. I really enjoyed reading this story because of the way it is written. I think this is the first time in this class that I have read something like that! When using the consciousness perspective you can really display thoughts and emotions of the characters in a way that is different with regular perspective. Maybe I will give it a try in the future. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe! I like the use of first person perspective to give more insight into Yamato's thoughts throughout the story. If you're trying to make it easier to follow for people who haven't read the original story you might add a bit of narration, where Yamato states what happened before his reaction to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Joe Green

Week 6 Story : Raja Rasalu