Week 13 Story: Cheater Cheat Cheat

Mike was an average student. He could handle most things his classes through at him, though he didn't like to put forth much effort. As such, he tended to look for the easiest way to do his assignments, even if that meant cheating.
One day, he was given an assignment in his math class. He wasn't paying much attention, so he simply took it home, googled it, and wrote down the answer he found online. When he turned it in the next day, he was very confused by the asonished look on his teacher's face.
"Mike," she said, "this is incredible! When I told everyone to try to derive the grand unified theory, I didn't think anyone would be able to do it. You must be a genius! We have to show the principal and get you into a higher level class."
This was not what Mike wanted to hear or do, but he didn't want to get in trouble by admitting he cheated on the assignment. He was put into the honors math and science classes, and struggled with them. He was on the verge of failing, and thus revealing the truth, when he was approached by one of his classmates.
"I couldn't help but notice you are struggling in class. I was suspicious when you joined the class mid semester, but I think I've worked it out. You cheated on that paper, didn't you? I don't want to rat you out, but I can't let you get away with this. I'll make you a deal. I will do your homework in this class for the rest of the semester. Every day, when I give it to you before class, you have to try and guess my favorite number. If you can't figure out what it is before the end of the semester, then I'll have to tell the teacher what you've been doing."
Seeing as he had no other choice, Mike agreed. The first few weeks didn't yield much success. Mike guessed ordinary numbers like 7, 13, and 1, and even figured out when his classmates birthday was to try those numbers. As the semester drew to a close, Mike was no closer to getting out of the situation.
Finally, on the last day of class, he admitted that he wouldn't be able to win the bet.
"Haha! I have won. I'm going to go tell the teacher now," Mike's classmate gloated.
But as he went over there, Mike yelled out to the whole class "That guy has been doing my homework all semester!"
The room went silent. The teachers had already known that something was wrong. Mike was an idiot, he couldn't have kept up in this class. Now they knew who was doing his work for him and expelled Mike's classmate.







With nothing left to lose, why not own it? Link



Author's Note: This story started as Tom Tit Tot, though that story is very similar to that of Rumpelstiltskin. I have always thought it was really strange how willing people are to bet that they can guess a name, as the odds are highly against them. Some times they do it because they have no other choice, as in the original story. I simply placed the plot of that story into a high school setting.


Bibliography: English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs. Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Joe Green

Week 6 Story : Raja Rasalu